It’s no secret that Hot Yoga is popular.
Celebrities, athletes and royalty are flocking to studios worldwide to lock the knee and stare into their own eyes. Anyone can do it!
- Flexibility: The heat allowed me to safely reach new levels of personal flexibility in beginner’s postures, which is therapeutic for my body. Furthermore, let’s be honest, being flexible is cool.
- Focus: Most Hot Yoga classes consist of the same 26 postures and two breathing exercises—and if not, there is almost always a dialed routine. The routine helped me to advance my practice through repetition. As I advanced, I gained tremendous focus and determination. The ability to focus carries over to your daily life. When you can focus on the task at hand, you’ll excel and you can enjoy it more.
- Cardio: My heart worked the same way doing yoga postures in a heated room as it does when running, and I don’t even need to leave my mat. Particularly in postures when I am balancing and contracting my muscles at the same time. A 90-minute class can burn up to 1,000 calories. The way you stretch and compress your internal organs and glands also stimulates metabolism so you are burning calories quicker outside the room as well.
- Strength: My own body is my gym. This yoga is low impact and uses muscles I didn’t know I had – tried on the mat. Also, a prime focus is on spine strength, which is key to a long healthy life!
- Breath: With the added element of the heat, I would’t make it far if I did not breathe deeply! If there is no breathing, there is no yoga. It wouldn’t take long before I learn to breathe in a full and controlled manner.
- Detox: The heated room helped me to stretch more and get your cardio, but it also helped me sweat. The postures themselves are detoxifying for my muscles, organs, and glands and sweating furthers that.
Check out Hot Yoga and try a class. You’ve got nothing to lose!
Photos credit JJ Ho.
For more information and class schedule, check out True Fitness.